Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Platform 9 3/4

Today went by so fast! I don't even know how all the hours of the day and days of the week are flying past me. I felt like Galway and Dublin where a year ago and that I've been in London for almost a year already. The time feels slow but goes by fast, if that makes any sense!

Today I awoke to make it to class. We waited for a long time for the bus to show up to bring us to the metro, but luckily I made it to class at 9:30 on the dot! After class I had my usual shrimp crackers from the lobby with a coke and we chit chatted while we waited for others to get out of class.

[Info about the shoot]

Apparently they were filming the Harry Potter epilogues this week. We heard that they would be at King's Cross (which is where platform 9 3/4 is located if you are HP fans) so of course we ZOOMED there after class. We found the display they have of a wall that says 9 3/4 with the shopping cart going through the wall.


One of the men that works at the metro overheard us talking about HP and told us which platform they were filming the scene at because at that moment they were recording! We walked over and we could hear the director, we saw the lights, and saw a lot of extras walking around the station. Unfortunately, the extras covered all of the main characters so we were unable to make any celebrity encounters. It was still a cool experience though.

We ate at a pub right above the train station and I enjoyed some cream of tomato soup with some crusty bread. Afterward I headed out by myself to walk through Hyde Park and do some last minute souvenir shopping and clothing shopping on Oxford Street. The tube entrance for Oxford Circus was blocked off so I grabbed a bus that took me to far past the tube station I wanted to get off on. So I got off, walked around, got tired of all the traffic and being lost-ness and got a cab. My driver was very friendly and guessed that I was Filipino on the spot! He knew a lot about the surroundings and would point out the wealthy parts we passed.

Immediately after I was dropped off I had to get ready to meet my friends for dinner. We ate at this really awesome Italian restaurant called the Jam. I walked in and it looked empty, I told the hostess I was meeting a group of friends and she just pointed up. I looked around and then up and realized that there were tables below, but also booths at the top, above the booths! It was so neat and my gnocchi was delicious!



We then headed to see Les Miserables! I was so excited to see it because I've heard so many people rave about it. We got there at 7:32. The show started two minutes earlier and we were late. We had to wait in the lobby and watch it on a TV until they could usher us in. I was so embarrassed because all the seats were taken in my row and someone had stolen my seat so I had to walk past everyone to get to the other side. The usher then just gave me an empty seat that was on the side, perched over the first floor and really close to the stage. A lot of the girls were bawling by the end of the show, which was hilarious to witness. I thought the singing was impeccable. It was really nice to see another good show!

Tomorrow is our last day of classes then we have a free day! I don't want this trip to end!

Pip pip,
Leah

1 comment:

  1. This entry takes the cake!! I didnt think you could have any more cool things to do, but PLATFORM 9 and 3/4??????? That picture is sooo cool! I am so jealous you got to see Les Miserables! I saw the play on video and it was awesome, so I can only imagine what it was like live! Then to top it all off, you ate at that super sweet restaurant, hope you have fun these last few days!! LOVE

    ReplyDelete